Choosing a newborn photographer is something that you should approach with care. While budget and location are important when selecting a newborn photographer that is right for your family, there are many other aspects that you should consider. Safety and style are among the top.
Here are 5 questions that you should be asking your newborn photographer before booking your newborn photography session.
- Do they shoot in the studio or in your home? This is certainly a preference but an important one! Here are some things to consider: do you have the space and light to accommodate a newborn session? If you prefer styled, posed newborn images like the ones you see below, you may want to stick to a tried/tested environment. Can you travel and how far would you be willing to go? Do you want to clean up your home? If there is sibling(s) involved, will they cooperate in the setting you choose?
- Do they specialize in newborn photography? It is important to choose a photographer that specializes in newborn photography especially if you are looking for style posed newborn photography. Someone who specializes in newborn photography will know what it takes to soothe a baby, how often they need to eat, what are the signs that they’re uncomfortable and need to be adjusted. They’ll know what’s safe to do with a newborn and will handle them with ease and confidence. They’ll know the best angles for photographing a newborn, as well as best angles for photographing families with newborns (hello, mom, you just gave birth!).
- Do they shoot posed or un-posed (documentary, lifestyle)? This is a preference and some photographers can accommodate both! Take a look at the photographer’s website and see if their style matches up with your expectations. The last thing you want to do is hire an in-studio, styled, posed newborn photographer and ask them to capture lifestyle, un-posed images. Same goes in reverse.
- What type of training do they have to make sure your newborn is safe and comfortable? This is at the very top of my list when it comes to choosing a newborn photographer! What type of training do they have? Do they know how to handle a newborn? Do they have training for posing a newborn if that is the style you are looking for? I cannot stress this one enough. Choosing someone at the low end of your budget that does not specialize in newborns and that does not have adequate training can put your brand new baby in danger. No savings is worth that.
- How do they handle complex baby poses? This one applies especially if you are looking for a posed photography session. When you see those gorgeous images where baby is upright in a bucket or flokati or has their head inside their little hands – these images should be done with a spotter that has their hands and eyes on the baby at all times! If the photographer you are interviewing does not have this background information, take a step back and ask yourself if the safety of your newborn is worth it.
If you are interested in learning a little more about my style, background and training, check out this page.